What's with the "FOB key" (all caps)? What could this acronymn possibly stand for? FOB: For Opening Big doors? Fumbling in Our Bag (for keys)?
Am I the only one who doesn't know this lingo?
Where does this come from? I wouldn't even mentioned it, but it's come up more than once. I was most recently provoked on this topic by an internal email at work that contained a reminder to bring our "FOB keys" to an after hours activity. I could have dismissed this as one person's quirky style, but some very smart friends of mine also think key fobs are in all caps. I assume this is a usage they must have gotten from their own workplaces. But if it doesn't stand for anything, why is it written that way often enough that many people recognize it as standard? I don't need my FOB to get into my OFFICE to do my JOB. (For that matter, I don't say I need to SIGN IN to make an entry to my BLOG either, which is perhaps a closer parallel.)
None of my dictionaries contain an entry "FOB" that has anything to do with opening doors (I'm pretty sure no one is saying their keys are "Free On Board," which is what all of my dictionaries suggest as the meaning of the acronym. That's obviously an obsolete expression now anyway, as hardly anything is FOB on airplanes anymore...). I suspect Wikipedia's entry for "FOB"--a re-direct from "Fob," which does refer to electronic key fobs but has no mention of the all-capped "FOB" except the entry itself--is just a perpetuation of this acronymic myth.
Does this actually mean something? Was it a trademark name for some widely used security system and people now use it just like all cotton swabs are "Q-tips"? Yes, your employees and your workplace will now be secure using our patented FOB (TM) key chain accessories.
Or are they all just yelling about their keys?
15 November 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey, didn't we ask about this first?! No mention of Tipsy and Burpy here? Come on!
Hey Tipsy (or is this Burpy?). Yes, you did ask.
BUT DID YOU ANSWER!?
Anyway, I suppose now is when I confess that Tipsy and Burpy are the "smart" friends to whom i refer in the original posting. Hmm.
eleanor: It's not a party for FOBs, You just can't get back into part of our building after 5PM IF YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR FOB.
And fair warning: comments are public so references to one's "LOVE button" may provoke this blogger to link to said button if you're not careful... Because now everyone is going to want to know about this LOVE button you are shouting about...
You, too, can click on the love button at www.moative.com. (Sorry, it just isn't as kinky as it sounds.) No eBlogger template this.
Well, The OED lists "deceit or cheat, trick" and "to palm off upon" in addition to the more traditional fob pocket, which evolved into a fob chain for a watch under fob (no caps). I'm guessing the FOB is simply an attempt to fob a FOB for a fob. Or is it the other way around?
eleanor, are you outing me as having specifically requested to be listed on the "love" page? I confess!! (I do assume you'll put real stuff on instead.)
Yes, mirm, my fellow word-geek, I know the REAL meanings of "fob." I still seek an explanation for this all caps FOB... This is my quest! TO define the undefinable acronym...! or is it to simply complain about careless use of language. That doesn't sound as glamorous. (And I'm still trying to work "palimpsest" into a blog entry...)
I think that "FOB" is an acronym for "Freakishly Obsinate Bastard(s)," as in, only a FOB would fob a FOB for a fob, if I understand the m-dawg/Tipsy variant, elanor variant, and mirm variants correctly.
Or maybe I'm just being a FOB.
Post a Comment