19 September 2007

PSA on seat-tilting

Emily Bazelon of Slate.com had an article a little over a week ago, inspired by her recent experience with sleeping in the passenger seat: "Death Nap: The dangers of tilting back the front seat — don't do it!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darn - I always do that. Perhaps I'll think twice in future and just nap sitting up.

B said...

You know, I used to do that too.

Heck, I used to DRIVE like that. (OK not so far back, since that 76 VW Bug didn't have seats that reclined that much). But it looked cool.

In fact, many of the kids on 'hot' street racer cars (fake or real) drive so far back I just have to laugh since they can not possibly have much control.

Just a quick viewing of some WRC (World Rally Championship) events will teach anyone that upright and close to the steering wheel is the best way for control and safety. You will notice that WRC cars are always past the edge of wrecking and often do.

LK said...

Wait, don't the rally car guys wear helmets and flame-retardant suits too?

Maybe I'll just start bringing neck pillows on car trips. Not an issue here really. You can't be in a car long enough on Oahu to need a nap. (Or paint your toenails, Mom.)