If you know me, you know that I am somewhat handicapped in the spontaneity department. So for me to say yes when a girlfriend called me at work in the afternoon to see if I wanted to go get a glass of wine and see a movie that very same evening was pretty exciting. While my other choice of an actitivity for the evening--to tackle that sinkfull of dirty dishes--was extremely attractive, I pushed aside the OCD (that would be Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) to go out with the girls and have fun. B doesn't get home from his conference until Sunday. Plenty of time to wash those dishes on Sunday afternoon.
I am really living on the edge now. And speaking of the edge...or, rather, the verge...
The movie we saw was Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (Mujeres al borde de un ataque de nervios). Last night was the kickoff of "Viva Pedro! Pedro Almodóvar Film Retrospective" at the Doris Duke Theatre. One could have done the whole "supper and lounge" gig with a Spanish menu for supper, but we just did the Spanish wine part--the "lounge." The Doris Duke Theatre is part of the Honolulu Academy of the Arts) and the courtyard has a fountain and sculptures and plants--just lovely. And it was a beautiful evening to sit outside. If the evening had stopped there, it still would have been great.
But, you are wondering, what about the movie? This movie is from 1988 and includes a very young Antonio Banderas as well as many other wonderful actors that are favorites of Almodóvar. (The fashions are also very 1988 which provides some unintentional hilarity.) Describing it in a nutshell is all but impossible. In short, this movie is, quite possibly, the funniest I have ever watched. A "must-see." Even if it didn't have subtitles, and you didn't understand a lick of Spanish, it would still be funny. I only have two thumbs of my own, or this would get three thumbs up. Six stars. An A+.
07 October 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment