18 April 2007

Good food, good service, good prices

So here is a short visual tour of a comida I just had in the DF. This is an Argentinian food restaurant, but I understand that they will prepare just about any meal a customer asks for, even if its not in the menu. I believe it.

This is, after all, a restaurant that has 2 walls full of photographs of very famous people that have eaten there. Some I spotted quickly: Gabriel García Márquez, Carlos Fuentes, Carlos Monsivais... the list goes on. Oh, no silly photos like you might see in other restaurants that like to brag of similar fame. All are classy professional looking people and photos (many are world famous writers).

They will bring a coat rack to your table, take your coat or purse, bring you drinks, take your order and you just eat. Yeah, you just eat. No bothersome "hello-my-name-is-Perfecto-and-I-will-be-your-server-today-is- everything-OK" waiters. When you, the customer, fells that there is something missing, you just lift your eyes and there will be a waiter there actually looking out for you but not bothering you until your tequila, beer glass or plate are empty. Then the item disappears along with the waiter almost imperceptibly only to be replaced with the next course or a fresh drink if you give the proper nod.

And the food? Well it was simply fantastic.

Total cost for a 4 course meal with drinks for 5 people: about 2,000.00 pesos. You do the math.

2 comments:

LK said...

I did the math. That's just under US$200.

Anonymous said...

My meal in NYC was a bit more expensive partially because of the dessert wine (wine WAS dessert). However, there were no famous people pics, and the service was merely good (not fantastic). I'm not sure I don't feel I've been ripped. Ah well, it's the city after all.

Cheers B